There will come a time in every person’s life when they will consider moving out to go in search of their dream home. What they often don’t consider is renovating the house they already have to make it their perfect home instead. This can be a massive decision to make and can actually prove to be a far better decision than moving home. Here is why you should choose renovation over moving out the next time your thoughts wander in that direction.
When it comes to moving, you are in for a host of problems. You might get the exhilaration of moving into a new area, but the chances are it’s going to be very short-lived. It can be a stressful time for your children and on your relationship with your spouse. Here is what you sign up for when you decide to move home:
- The cost. The cost of moving is huge. Not only are you considering the expenses of the house, which might be far more expensive than your own, you are also going to need to think about the cost of removal services and trips down to the junkyard, making sure that you have enough money to solve other problems on this list and still have money left over for bills.
- The stress. One of the worst things about moving is the stress. Many sources report that moving house is more stressful than going through a divorce. This doesn’t even begin to describe the amount of stress that your kids are going to be under. It can be a serious problem to make sure everything is organized. If you have everything packed and the sale of your house falls through last minute, you won’t be able to make the move, which can make things so much worse.
- Your children. Your children are going to feel this the most. You might get into arguments about the move with your spouse due to the stress, which is going to look like bad news to them. They will also need to transfer schools, which is many kids’ worst nightmare. They will need to make new friends, get used to a new routine, and try and make strong bonds with others who might have already established their friend groups and are unwilling to let a stranger in.
- Your jobs. You are going to need to find new jobs, which can put a lot of stress on you financially. This can be a huge problem if you have problems with finding jobs or the house is going to need both of you to work rather than just the one.
- Much like your children, you will be introduced to new social groups. As with everywhere, you are going to find that you might fit in with groups immediately, or you really won’t. This is a nightmare if you’re an extrovert and you have moved so far away from your friends that you can only see them once every few months.
Renovation can be a great alternative to moving. You can cut out a lot of the stress and the anxiety and help your kids a lot too. You also don’t have the constant worry of the sale falling through, and you won’t need to have the issue of changing your social circle or your jobs. Here is what you sign up for when you chose to renovate:
- You know your space. You know the space you have available. You can use software to visualize your space as something new and exciting. This means that you can look at your house and change it into something you want, rather than what it is already. You can have a lot of fun with remaking the layout of your house for something that flows a lot more naturally.
- You know your location. You know the people around you, and you know that you are surrounded by friends. Your children can stay with their own friend groups, and you won’t need to worry about them fitting in at a new school. They are bound to be happier with a change in the home rather than a whole change of lifestyle and pace.
- You don’t need to find a new job. It won’t matter if your job is location-specific or not. You can still go to work and enjoy your work community without having to enter into a whole new area with completely different standards.
- You can have a plethora of different ways to model your home. You can do anything to your home. You can go up into the loft, you can do an extension out into your yard or over the top of the garage or into the garage itself, you can put in a pool or an outdoor entertainment space to host events, and you can even go down into your basement if you want to. You could even rip out the interior of your house and start all over again. This can be an exhilarating feeling to make your current home into your dream home.
When it comes to the debate of moving or renovating, the clear winner is renovation. Not only do you have the plus sides of not having to have the social and emotional stress of moving away, having to make new friends and learning the new do’s and don’ts of the area, and then having to put your children through it too, but you also have the ability to help your current home become the house of your dreams.
You can really unleash your inner interior designer and let loose on your home, adding rooms (or even taking them off) as much as the space allows. By using the right tools and software, you can make the right decisions and design your space effectively, meaning that you can make the most of what you already have and not have to make a perfect home completely from scratch with masses of stress.