A lawyer and specialist in natural resource law and policy, Mary Elizabeth Magill is married to Leon Francis Szeptycki; the couple hails from Fargo, North Dakota. Their brood consists of two little ones. Liz Magill is an American law scholar and academic administrator. She became Penn’s ninth president and 27th leader in July 2022.
|Mary Elizabeth Magill
|Place of birth
|Fargo, North Dakota, U.S.A.
|Frank J. Magill (Father)
|Yale University (BA)
University of Virginia (JD)
|56–57(Born in 1966)
In July 2022, American law scholar and academic administrator Mary Elizabeth Magill (born 1966) became the ninth president and 27th leader of the University of Pennsylvania. She is an administrative and constitutional law scholar who became a law professor at the University of Virginia. She later became Stanford Law School dean and UVA provost.
The harsh response to Magill’s House of Representatives Committee on Education and the Workforce speech on Penn’s antisemitism prompted her resignation on December 9, 2023.
Origins and formal schooling
Magill was born and raised in Fargo, North Dakota. Her father, Frank Magill, is a senior federal judge on the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals. Frank Magill Jr., her brother, serves as a district judge for the Fourth Judicial District in Minnesota. In 1988, she received a BA in history from Yale University, where she also was president of the Yale College Democrats. In 1995, she got a J.D. from the UVA School of Law.
Working life of Liz Magill
Magill was North Dakota Senator Kent Conrad’s senior legislative assistant from 1988 until 1992.
After law school, Magill clerked for Judge J. Harvie Wilkinson III on the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals from 1995 to 1996 and for Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg from 1996 to 1997. The American Law Institute accepted her.
Magill taught for 15 years at the University of Virginia School of Law, starting in 1997. She was vice dean from 2009 to 2012 and the Joseph Weintraub–Bank of America Distinguished Professor of Law, Elizabeth D. and Richard A. Merrill Professor, and administrative and constitutional law researcher.
In 2012, she became dean of Stanford University’s law school and Richard E. Lang Professor of Law.
She returned to UVA as provost in 2019. Magill became Penn’s ninth president in July 2022 and became Trustees University Professor and Law School Professor.
In 2023, Magill Faces Criticism for Handling of Antisemitism on Campus
University President Elizabeth Magill was criticized for her antisemitism response in 2023. The controversy has numerous phases:
- September 2023: Liz Magill was criticized for failing to support academics and students protesting Palestinians and those persecuted for attending a pro-Palestine literature festival.
- October 2023: Liz Magill was criticized for not responding aggressively enough to university antisemitism after Hamas’ attack on Israel and war. This sparked national academic antisemitic campaigns. Major funders publicly withdrew support and requested Magill’s resignation.
- November 2023: Liz Magill announced a task force and student advisory group to tackle antisemitism in response to criticism.
- December 5, 2023: Liz Magill and MIT and Harvard presidents spoke before the House Education and Workforce Committee on campus antisemitism on December 5, 2023. Magill’s “context-dependent” response on whether demands for Jewish genocide were bullying or harassment garnered millions of views online and came under fire from Pennsylvania Governor Josh Shapiro.
- December 7-9, 2023: Wharton Board of Advisors, benefactors, political leaders, and Stone Ridge Asset Management CEO Ross Stevens demanded Magill’s resignation December 7-9, 2023. Without her resignation, Stevens threatened to rescind a $100 million pledge to Wharton.
- December 9, 2023: December 9, 2023: Under pressure, Magill resigned as president, effective when a replacement is chosen.
Liz Magill Net Worth
According to reports, her estimated net worth is somewhere around $6 million.
The Husband of Liz Magill
He is known by the name Leon Francis Szeptycki, who is her husband.
The Children of Liz Magill
According to what we have collected, she is a mother of two children; however, the identities of her children and the specifics of their lives are unknown.